A fire broke out at 3:44 a.m. this morning at a single-story apartment complex located at 2536 Bruce Street. The structure was completely destroyed.
“The fire destroyed unit number five, a studio apartment,” said Anderson Fire Chief Andy Nichols.
The tenant in the unit, Jacob Gingerick, 24, said they lost everything.
“We were asleep,” Gingerick said, “and we woke up and it was in flames.”
Apartment manager Nunzio Arcidiacono said he awoke to the sound of banging on the door.
“There wasn’t much anyone could do,” said Arcidiacono, “just hope everyone can get out.”
According to neighboring tenant, Paul Barr, “Flames were coming out the door,” when he arrived on scene.
“I grabbed a hose,” said Barr,” but it was too hot by that time.”
Five engines – three from Anderson, one from Cottonwood and one from Cal Fire – were dispatched to the location, said Nichols.
It took Anderson firefighters about twenty minutes to extinguish the blaze, though they stayed on scene for several more hours to monitor hot spots, residents said.
“The fire was caused by electrical,” Nichols said.